The upcoming holiday season is a special time to spend with family and friends, which traditionally includes celebrations with great food, fun and frivolity. It also means more people traveling our roadways to and from parties as well as holiday shoppers on the streets. So while the season can be an exciting time, it is a time when frequent accidents tend to occur so there are some important things to remember to keep you and your family and friends safe during this busy time of year.
- Drive Aloha. Practice safe driving habits such as wearing you seat belt, avoiding distractions like using your cell phone or texting, driving the speed limit, and crossing in designated crosswalks.
- Have a Designated Driver. A simple, yet important step to keeping everyone safe.
- Use a Cab or Car Service. If someone who should not be driving insists on going home, call a cab or a car service like Uber or Lyft to get them home safely.
- Enjoy a Festive Mocktail. Imbibe in a holiday mocktail or other non-alcoholic beverage if you’re the designated driver.
- Plan Ahead. Give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination so there’s no need to rush around. Speeding, trying to beat the red light and making sudden turns at intersections increase your chances of getting into an accident.
- Check Your Vehicle. Be sure your vehicle is in working order with properly inflated tires, topped off fluids, and working lights.
Ultimately, use common sense and stay safe while travelling during the holidays. Make sure the memories with family and friends during this time of year remain joyous ones.